Alabama Pulled Pork with Coke Zero® BBQ Sauce
Alabama Crimson Tide
||7 to 9 hours
||Approx. 8 to 10 hours
- 1 whole, fresh pork butt, about 8 lbs.
- Barbecue rub as needed
- 1/2 cup Coke Zero®
Coke Zero® Barbecue Sauce
- 1-1/2 cups Heinz® Ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups Coke Zero®
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Lea & Perrins®
- 1 Tbsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. granulated onion
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Season the meat liberally on all sides with the barbecue rub. Let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Prepare your grill or smoker to cook indirect at 300°F using pecan wood smoke for flavor.
- Put the pork butt in the cooker fat side down and cook for 5 to 6 hours until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Meanwhile, make the barbecue sauce by combining the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk well and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for a minute or two, whisking often until the sugar is melted and all of the ingredients are well blended. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
- When the pork reaches 160°F, lay out a big double piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil and put the pork butt in the middle, fat side up.
- As you begin to close up the package, pour the Coke Zero® over the top of the butt and then seal the package, taking care not to puncture it.
- Return the package to the cooker and cook until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 200°F. This should take about another 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the package from the cooker to a baking sheet.
- Open the top of the foil to let the steam out and let it rest for a half hour.
- Using heavy neoprene gloves or a pair of tongs and a fork, transfer the meat to a big pan. It will be very tender and hard to handle. Discard the juices as they will be quite fatty.
- Pull the meat apart with your hands, discarding the fat and bones.
- Add one cup of the barbecue sauce and toss well to coat.
- Continue shredding the pork until it reaches the consistency that you like, adding more barbecue sauce as needed.
- Serve any leftover sauce on the side.
DOWNLOAD AS PDF | PRINT